Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Day with the Children and More

Today we had Sunday School at Sue's church.  This was a big day too because this would be the first day that the children would get to have communion.  The church is actually right next to the New Horizon school and is pretty small, so when they have larger activities they just use the gathering area in the school.  So, expecting 50 to 75 kids, the school was opened up for Sunday School.  There were quite a few kids here that day and it was great to see many of the older kids from the school volunteering to help with the Sunday School.  They say songs with the kids, prayed with the kids, and then I came up to share.  Sue translated for me and I shared with them how while we may not always be willing to love each other God always loves us.  And by taking communion we remember that Jesus loves us so much that he is willing to give up everything for us.  I had made a hummingbird balloon animal, so I shared with the kids that just like breath has to be breathed into the balloon to make the hummingbird so communion is one of God's ways to breath life into us as Christians.  Then Robert, the pastor of the church, shared communion with the kids.  I got to serve the communion and it was very special.

After communion was over I got to make balloon animals for all the kids.  They crowed right up next to me with their bright vibrant eyes and asked me for their animals.  I have a repertoire of about 7 animals (and a sword) but that didn't stop the kids from asking me for all kinds of animals.  One of the youth who helped, a young man, was standing next to me while I was making the animals, and he quickly picked up how to many a few of them, so... he helped to get the animals made much faster.  It was fun to see him learning, popping a few balloons, but having a great time. 

I really enjoyed this time with the kids.

After Sunday School, we headed into town for lunch and who came in while we were eating but Angelica, the woman we had shared dinner at Pizza Hut with the night before.  I really enjoyed the times throughout the week, including this lunch, when Sue would share with me about the politics of Paraguay, the state of the school, little things she has learned about the Paraguayan culture, her own calling, and more.

After lunch Sue took me into Asuncion to pick up so gifts for family and friends.  We stopped first by the Capital building of Paraguay which has right behind it a huge slum.  Most of the electricity in this area has been spliced off of power lines and their is no sanitation.  I was thinking about taking a picture but Sue said I should not since this was one of the most dangerous parts of town.  She said there were murders here almost every week but that the people are so poor they have no other place to go.  There was even a time when the shantees being built extended almost all the way up to the back doors of the capital but "mysteriously" a fire burned up much of this village.  Some definitely suspect the government of arsen.

After this stop we traveled and picked up some gifts and then we decided to stop for ice cream.  We went to an amazing ice cream shop called Heladero.  It was delicious.

Then we went by the Hospital to visit a lady named Rosa.  She was a strong Christian woman who had influenced many people for Christ but was very sick.  When we went into the hospital I was struck by how different the hospital looked.  I was not one inclosed building, but a collection of smaller buildings with outdoor walk ways connecting them.  It looked pretty old and antiquated without very good sanitation at all.  It was powerful to me to see this son, daughter-in-law, neice, and husband all weaping and the poor condition of Rosa.  We prayed with the family and then went home.

Then night I watched the moving Amazing Grace which I highly recommend and spent time preparing for the sermon I would preach the next day.

No comments:

Post a Comment